I have specialised in employment law since qualifying as a solicitor in 1994. For fifteen years I practised at one of the UK’s leading employment law firms assisting employers in a wide range of HR and IR issues, from recruitment to terminations, and everything in between. I also represented dozens of employers in defending hundreds of claims in the Employment Tribunal.
Between 2009 and 2019 I lived in New Zealand, continuing to work in the employment law sphere. My last seven and a half years there were spent sitting as a full time Member of the Employment Relations Authority. This is an adjudicative body, akin to the Employment Tribunal, but with a much more proactive investigatory approach. I investigated over 400 claims, covering a myriad of employment and industrial issues, and issuing legally binding determinations in most cases.
It was this work in particular which led me to develop a passion for discovering what is really at the bottom of a dispute, by uncovering and analysing evidence, and reaching a cogent and credible conclusion. A clear, concise but comprehensive written report is the end product, giving the decision maker everything they need to discharge their role with confidence.
- University College London (BA Hons degree in Linguistics, First Class)
- College of Law, CPE and Law Society Finals
- 1992 – 2000; Trainee and solicitor at Lewis Silkin LLP
- 2000 – 2009; Partner and Senior Partner at Lewis Silkin LLP
- 2009 – 2011; Employment Law Adviser in Christchurch, New Zealand
- 2011 – 2019; Full time Member (Adjudicator) of the Employment Relations Authority, New Zealand.