I enjoy a mix of facilitation and helping to resolve tricky people issues. People’s expectations of work are complex and changing. When facilitating, I love giving people the tools and confidence they need to navigate the modern workplace. I’m used to helping leaders solve the people issues that keep them awake at night, and finding a way through that leads to good long term outcomes.
I was an employment lawyer for over 20 years and dealt with 1000s of tricky situations. My experience has spanned City legal, in house legal, compliance, HR management, ER, policy, behaviour/culture change, organisational change and design. Coupling my legal role with HR roles has been fantastic – it has given me a perspective I couldn’t have got any other way and given me the tools to address problems before they escalate. I know the limits of approaching a problem with a ‘lawyering’ mindset. Having built and led a busy team with a tough remit, I get how crucial – and hard – it is to find a way to meet your deliverables in a way that builds positive working relationships.
The world of work is changing fast – values that were once aspirational ideas that didn’t touch the bottom line are now seen by many businesses as a necessity. I am thankful for having worked with so many brilliant people with great values over the years. byrne·dean is a continuation of that – it’s an outstanding team of experts doing work that really matters – who wouldn’t want to work in a kinder, fairer and more productive workplace?
- Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge (BA Law)
- College of Law, York (LPC)
- University of London (MSc Organisational Behaviour)
- Meyler Campbell Mastered Executive Coach (in training)
- 2019+ – byrne·dean – Associate
- 2001-19 – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (8 years – Global Head of ER and People Performance, 3 years – Head of HR Risk and Policy, 6 years – In-house Employment lawyer and HR Manager, 1 year – Knowledge Management Lawyer (Employment)
- 2000-01 – Japan – Teaching English and voluntary work
- 1998-00 – Freshfields – Solicitor
- 1996-98 – Clifford Chance – Trainee Solicitor
- 1995-96 – Cambridge University – Supervisor in Company Law