Victoria Byrne and I started byrne·dean in 2003 to create kinder, fairer, more productive workplaces. My two head and neck cancers (2009 and 2016) have influenced my life and work. My first book ‘the Soft Stuff: reclaiming kindness for the world of work’ is published in April.
I was an employment lawyer from 1989 – 2003 and created the ground breaking Employment Law Training team at Simmons & Simmons, where we started talking to people about the risks they ran at work and realised that you avoid employment problems by focusing on things like engagement and inclusion.
I’ve done my 10,000 hours of facilitation. I love getting people to focus on changing their bit of the firm. Increasingly I work with the most senior people in firms but also with teams and with everyone in firms. I do some one to one resolution and some strategic work – normally on culture change.
- Oxford University, Pembroke College
- Manchester Polytechnic (Law Society Finals)
- 1986 – 1988: Unilever plc (Brand Manager)
- 1989 – 1995: Richards Butler
- 1995 – 2003: Simmons & Simmons
- 2003 – date: Founder Director, byrne·dean