Sophie Clifford joined byrne•dean as an associate in July 2014. She is involved in both training and advisory, resolving difficult work situations, providing strategic HR advice and delivering workplace training sessions.
Sophie is a specialist employment lawyer. She was called to the Bar in 1998, representing clients before the Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeals Tribunal, in the range of employment disputes. She then became a litigator and adviser for the UK Government, working on a number of complex individual employment cases as well as collective measures, such as TUPE transfers and downsizings of the workforce. Sophie then joined the United Nations in 2012 where she advised on Human Resources issues and represented the Secretary-General before the United Nations Dispute Tribunal. Separately, Sophie works as an employment lawyer as part of The Legal Pod.
Sophie also has extensive experience as an accredited neighbourhood mediator.
Having worked for the United Nations, having been educated and having worked across the USA, France and England, and being a French national, Sophie is particularly well equipped to deal with complex cultural issues in work environments.
- King’s College, London (l.l.b in English and French Law)
- La Sorbonne, Universite Paris I (Maitrise en Droit prive, Francais et Anglais)
- Nottingham Bar School (Bar Vocational Court, Outstanding)
- From 1998 – 2002: Barrister at law, Cloisters and Acre Lane Chambers
- From 2002 – 2007: Litigator, Treasury Solicitor’s Department
- From 2007 – 2012: In house Counsel, Employment Team, Ministry of Justice
- From 2012 – 2014: Legal Officer, United Nations
- 2014 to date: Lawyer with The Legal Pod and Associate at byrne•dean